POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Smoke Trail (60kbbu) : Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 09:30:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke Trail (60kbbu)
From: Rune
Date: 24 Feb 2001 14:07:23
Message: <3a98066b@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote:
>
> > Why? Does it not support moving emitter-points directly?
>
> No. There isn't any way to specify that type of information yet,
> that's why I'm working on the dynamic_transform patch. I wanted
> to use a method that was at least as flexible as ordinary
> clock-based animation, so I didn't want to use splines.

I completely agree. That's why the particle_emitter point and direction can
be animated exactly as flexible as regular clock animation in my system. I
have not used splines in any of my posted particle system animations.

> > Moving particle-emitters are already supported in my system,
> > but not moving environment-objects.
>
> One problem I have yet to figure out how to get around is the
> "trapping" of particles inside the environment object...

Yes, that problem we have in common...

> maybe transforming particles within a certain distance of the
> object (close enough to be considered "on" it) along with the
> object, and modifying their velocity will work.

But what if the object moves a greater distance between two calculation
frames than that certain distance you mentioned? And what if the surface
movement is not caused by a transformation but by - say an isosurface with a
varying function?

> Oops! Well, my version in progress supports radius, mass, and
> temperature as well as age, velocity, and position.

I have never understood what use the temperature feature is. What can it be
used to simulate?

From the documentation:
> As the simulation goes on, particles will tend toward the
> temperature of their environment. Particles hotter than
> their environment will tend to go against gravity and float,
> colder particles will sink.

I don't see the logic in this. It has noting to do with reality. Hot water
doesn't float just because it's hotter than the air around it. The
temperature at which it begins to float is much higher than the temperature
of the environment. In fact, the temperature of the environment seems to be
completely irrelevant. And wouldn't your system end up in a state where the
particles neither sink nor float?

Please explain the concept.

Rune
\ all be found at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated January 28)